If you’re looking for a surrogate or considering becoming a surrogate, you’ve probably come across surrogacy agencies.
But what exactly do surrogacy agencies do? Why should you work with a surrogacy agency? And what should you look for when choosing one—either as a surrogate or an intended parent?
Read on to find out more.
What is a surrogacy agency?
A surrogacy agency provides anywhere from some to all of the services you’ll need as you navigate the surrogacy process.
Typically, full-service surrogacy agencies offer the following services:
- Matching services for surrogates and intended parents
- Screening services to make sure surrogates and intended parents are physically, emotionally, and mentally prepared for the process
- Counseling to ensure that everyone is emotionally and mentally supported throughout the journey
- Coordination between medical professionals and surrogacy attorneys
- … and more
It’s important to note that most surrogacy agencies specialize in gestational surrogacy, not traditional surrogacy. (Learn more about the difference between gestational surrogacy and traditional surrogacy here.)
Surrogate Parenting Services (SPS) is a full-service surrogacy agency, as well as one of the oldest and most established agencies in California. To date we’ve helped bring over 800 babies into the world.
Why should you work with a surrogacy agency?
Some people navigate their surrogacy journey with just an attorney and a surrogacy clinic. However, working with a reputable, full-service surrogacy agency can make the process much easier and significantly less stressful. Why?
- They coordinate every aspect of the surrogacy process, ensuring that each step is completed.
- They are experts at matching surrogates and intended parents. The surrogacy journey is an intimate partnership and strong matches reduce stress for both parties and help make the process more gratifying and successful.
- They connect you with trusted professionals, such as medical professionals and surrogacy attorneys.
- The process will go much smoother, as they help surrogates and intended parents deal with any unknown or unforeseen challenges.
- You’ll have round-the-clock support. Full-service agencies like Surrogate Parenting Services provide support to both parties throughout the entire process, including a case manager who is available to you 24/7.
How do you choose a surrogacy agency?
When you’re looking for a reputable surrogacy agency, make sure you do the following:
- Ask about their screening process for both surrogates and intended parents. Both parties should be physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared for the process and educated on the responsibilities and risks.
- Find out how surrogates and intended parents are matched. The best agencies take into account factors such as personality, expectations for the journey, and the level of communication desired.
- Ask which services they offer, as services vary from agency to agency. Larger, more established agencies will be able to offer more services—everything from matching to case management to legal services.
- Find out their experience in the industry and ensure they have a high surrogacy success rate (and how they define “success rate”).
Learn More About Becoming a Surrogate with Surrogate Parenting Services
Surrogate Parenting Services is proud to celebrate 30 Years of helping to bring dreams to life! Founded in 1990, Surrogate Parenting Services (SPS) is a full-service surrogacy program that offers both parties an exceptionally supportive environment throughout the surrogacy relationship. We’re passionate about creating ideal matches between surrogates and intended parents, so the journey is fulfilling for both sides and the future child is brought into this world in the best possible circumstances.
Learn more about our Surrogacy Program online or by calling (949) 363-9525.