Whether you’re a prospective surrogate or a hopeful parent, your choice of surrogacy agency is one of the most important decisions you’ll make during your journey.
There are many factors to consider when choosing an agency, such as their history and experience, the services they offer, and their screening and matching processes. (Read more about choosing an agency here.) But does a surrogacy agency’s location matter?
The short answer is… it depends.
For surrogates, the agency’s location is much more important, because surrogacy isn’t legal in many countries and surrogacy laws vary by state in the U.S. Intended parents, on the other hand, don’t have to live in the same city, state, or even country as the surrogate or the surrogacy agency. Read on to learn more.
How the agency’s location affects surrogates
For surrogates, the agency’s location can matter. While many agencies don’t require you to live in the same city or state as the agency, you do need to live in a country or state where surrogacy is legal. In the U.S., surrogacy laws vary by state. (Learn more about surrogacy laws in the U.S. here.)
Surrogate Parenting Services (SPS) is located in Orange County, California (one of the friendliest states in the country for surrogacy), and we only work with surrogates who are California residents. This enables us to provide hands-on care to our surrogates, and it ensures the most legal protection for surrogates and intended parents. (Find out how to become a surrogate with us here.)
How the agency’s location affects intended parents
For hopeful parents, the agency’s location usually doesn’t matter. At SPS, we help make dreams come true for parents all over the country and the world. In fact, around 20% of our intended parents live in other states, and about 30% are international!
During the matching process, we take into account the kind of relationship the surrogate and intended parents would like to have. For example, if the surrogate would like the intended parents to accompany her to appointments, we would match her with parents who were local. If in-person meetings are not a priority for either party, then matching a surrogate with parents who live in another state/country would be an option.
We want your surrogacy journey to be as comfortable and fulfilling as possible. So, as you begin your surrogacy with us, it’s important to be open and honest about your desires for the experience.
The benefits of working with a surrogacy agency
Whether you work with a local agency or one in another city, state, or country, navigating your surrogacy journey with an agency can make the process much easier and significantly less stressful. Here’s why:
- They coordinate every aspect of the surrogacy process, ensuring that each step is completed.
- They are experts at matching surrogates and intended parents. The surrogacy journey is an intimate partnership and strong matches reduce stress for both parties and help make the process more gratifying and successful.
- They connect you with trusted professionals, such as medical professionals and surrogacy attorneys.
- They serve as advocates for you as you navigate your journey, ensuring you’re not taken advantage of.
- The process will go much smoother, as they help surrogates and intended parents deal with any unknown or unforeseen challenges.
- You’ll have round-the-clock support. Full-service agencies like Surrogate Parenting Services provide support to both parties throughout the entire process, including a case manager who is available to you 24/7.
Learn More About Becoming a Surrogate with Surrogate Parenting Services
Surrogate Parenting Services is proud to celebrate over 30 years of helping to bring dreams to life! Founded in 1990, Surrogate Parenting Services (SPS) is a full-service surrogacy program that offers both parties an exceptionally supportive environment throughout the surrogacy relationship. We’re passionate about creating ideal matches between surrogates and intended parents, so the journey is fulfilling for both sides and the future child is brought into this world in the best possible circumstances.
Learn more about our Surrogacy Program online or by calling (949) 363-9525.